Title

Click here to edit subtitle

Approximately 2,200 Airmen and 70 F-16 Fighting Falcons make up the 388th Fighter Wing at Hill Air Force Base. In addition to operating and maintaining the Air Force's largest fleet of combat-ready F-16s, the wing oversees the Utah Test and Training Range. The 388th FW's motto is,

"America's Airmen defending our nation at home and abroad

...Liberty or Death!"

 

388th Fighter Wing history

The "Bombing of Berlin" Mar 3-9, 1944. This was the first time the United States Army Air Force bombed Berlin in WWII. It should be noted that the Eighth Air Force initially launched a major bombing mission on March 3, but this was called back due to bad weather. On March 4, another launch occurred, but again called back due to poor weather. On March 7, a group of 31 aircraft reached the outskirts of Berlin and dropped its' "cargo" as planned. On the five missions flown by the 388 BG(H) over Berlin, they lost 13 aircraft, with 40 Airmen killed in action, 5 missing in action and 78 prisoners of war. (Information courtesy of the 388th Fighter Wing History

Capt. Thomas "Shack" Graham

This page is to honor those currently serving in our

United States Air Force

**Viper** Squadron

 


The history of the 388h Fighter Wing traces itself back to World War II and authorization of the 388th Bombardment Group (Heavy), (BG) (H). After World War II the 388th Bombardment Group was inactivated and in November 1953, the 388th Fighter-Bomber Wing was activated. In May 1962 the wing as redesignated as the 388th Tactical Fighter Wing until October 1991 when it assumed its present designation of 388th Fighter Wing.